At Shelton we pride ourselves on being smart, well presented and ready for learning. It is our school policy that all children wear school uniform when attending school and we encourage them to take a pride in their personal appearance.
All clothing should be clearly labelled with your child’s name. This is especially important, as uniform items look similar and can easily be confused for another child’s. The school cannot accept responsibility for any lost items.
- Our school tie is compulsory in year 6 and optional in years 3, 4 and 5. Ties should only be worn with a full button shirt not a polo shirt
- Long hair must be tied back neatly or in a style that is away from your child’s face when they are working
- Hair bands should also be plain black or dark blue and should not have large flowers or other decoration attached
- No large / colourful hair accessories or jewellery should be worn to school
- Make up and nail varnish should not be worn to school
- Please wear plain black shoes or trainers without logos (not boots)
- No earrings other than plain studs
- No T shirts/sweatshirts with slogans or designs
Our school uniform is simple and all items are easily available from any supermarket or on the internet at low cost. Items with the embroidered school logo are optional are are available from the shops below.
Items with the school logo are available to order from Mark and Spencer on their dedicated uniform website:
School uniform may also be purchased directly from Uniform Direct, Babington Lane, Derby or via their website:
School ties are available from Uniform direct (clip on) or from school (Velcro), please contact the school office for more information.
Uniform consultation 2022
Thank you to the parents who attended our parent forum and to all those who completed a survey. I have also consulted our school governors and the children. As a result of the consultation we are making a few small changes to our policy for the academic year 2022-23.
In general, the view of parents, governors and the children themselves is that uniform is important for our school. Children should be smart and well-presented as this helps to prepare them for school and helps them to be ready for uniform expectations when they move on to secondary school.
Highlight of the changes for September 2022:
- All children must wear uniform and PE kit in line with the policy and children will be asked to change into uniform provided by school if they do not wear the correct uniform.
- We are intending to set up a permanent uniform “Swap Shop” where pre-loved second hand uniform can be exchanged free of charge.
- Shoes – please continue to provide plain black shoes or trainers for main uniform – any suitable sport trainer is acceptable for PE kit. Plain ankle boots have been added to the policy.
- We have included navy OR black PE kit items to make it easier to obtain plain PE kit.
- Hair – hair should be out of children’s faces when they are working, please use plain hair bands or bobbles
- Some children with sensory needs may need to wear suitable alternatives – as long as this is agreed with class teacher and SENDCo in advance, this will be fine.
Before you buy any new items of uniform – please read the policy carefully. We have included pictures to help to make it as clear as we can but if you have any questions, please give us a call or pop in to the office.